Sunday, October 14, 2012

A jump at life

There is something to be said about watching Felix Baumgartner take that first step out into the wild blue yonder, with Earth just a fuzzy image of blue and greens below him.  I have to confess it made me catch my breath a bit.  We watched as a family as he free falled down to Earth and then watched as he righted himself and opened his shoot.  We were amazed at how perfect his touchdown (not sure if that is the correct terminology) and he just walked a few steps before dropping to the ground.  The whole 5+minutes of the fall were amazing.

But then I had to stop and think.  The man just fell 23 miles from the sky.  His family watching, the world watching.  And he just did it.  Yes, he had a few set backs, weather, equipment etc..  I can only imagine the weight of the world he felt as he fell.  It was a big step...not only for himself, but also for the people of this world. 

He chased his dreams.  Not granted my dreams are not to plument 23 miles with only some material slowing me to a stop on the Earth.  But I do have dreams.  A lot of them.  And the thing about achieving your dreams is...it is not always easy.  There are set backs.  People watching.  Some people hoping for the bad and some rooting you on for the good.  Now granted, being grounded here on Earth does provide a bit of a safety net and none of my dreams are actually life threatening, but still they are a big step and require me to step out on simple belief that I will succeed. 

I have to ask myself, am I willing to just step?  Just to take off, take that step and start falling towards to my goal.  I am.  So thank you Felix for giving me a bit of hope and motivation I needed today.  I may not be making a big as step as you did 23 miles above Earth, but still in my world, they might as well be.  So Felix while you celebrate with family and friends this afternoon.  I will be working on jotting down my goals and working on meeting them head on.  I may not be jumping as you did, but am taking a big jump in my personal life.  Thank you Felix and godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment