Monday, July 9, 2012

A little bit of Lubbock

I had big plans today to visit Palo Duro Canyon.  My dad took me twice when I was kid to see the play Texas.  It was a lasting memory for me and I wanted to share the awesomeness with the kids.  So, we got up and dressed.  Piled into the suburban and took off.  First we headed to Bolton's to get free air for a low tire.  While Drake and I were looking, we noticed "something" in the tire.  Ahh, now here is the part where I become brilliant...I decide to buy fix a flat and well..."fix" my tire.  We put some more gas in the suburban and took off.

For us to get out of town, we have to get on Loop 289 and then get onto Hwy 27.  At this point I am not telling the kids where we are going.  I wanted them to be wowed.  And have ooohs and ahhhs from the back seat(s).  Well once on Hwy 27, I started feeling a little bump bump.  I honestly thought it was the road.  I had never driven on it and sometimes roads do make the car make funny sounds.  About the time I asked, "hey you think it's the tire"  we felt that BAM....and rubber went flying.  Might I add, it flew pretty impressively. 

Now mind you, we are new to town, new (to us) vehicle and I am not EXACTLY sure where I am.  So I google....hello?? Google is awesome, it knows where I am!! So I call the closest wrecker service.  I explained where we were, and the fact we had NO tools and we were hoping our spare was good. 

After 45min and two phone calls....I finally get Mr. Baggy Pant, no personality, who knows what is name is guy.  First thing, he jacks up my suburban and it in the process it slips off (slips my ass...it fell off!!!)  He had to make a phone call and then used his tow truck to lift my suburban.  Now mind you...when I called, I explained the situation....I have NO tire changing tools (if I had...my guys would have had us up and out of there..and blog would have been a lot shorter!ha) So he gets to the spare tire part and drum roll please.................he doesn't have the tool.  Then preceeds to tell me they could tow my suburban but the kids and I would have to find a ride.  Um hello??? what part of "I just moved here" do they not understand!

Soooooooooooo Mr. Baggy Pants drives away and I make phone calls.  Then my red-headed, pony-tail wearing knight in a white truck from Caprock Tire shows up.  And in less than 30min I have my spare on my suburban, all tires are checked and for road side assistance I only paid $35.  VERY happy!

But because of the two hours we sat on Hwy 27 staring at each other, talking about the past, being thankful it wasn't worse and listening to Jacob snore, we had to scrape our little outing.  It's all good, no panic...we hit a couple of Lubbock things....

We were right down the road from McKenzie Park so we headed there to check out Prairie Dog Town.  We are all closet prairie dog lovers here....honestly, we contemplate ways to capture one and make it our pet.  We threw them chewy granola pb bars and watched them snack.
Are they not the cutest things!!
After we left there we headed to The Choclate Mousse Pie Bar
You are feasting your eyes on our feast of Oreo pie dip.  Yep..PIE dip.  Basically you go in, choose your filing and then what you want for your crust.  They serve them in cups.  A very interesting experience.  I can tell you...the pie dip was gone in probably five minutes.  Did I mention it was YUMMY!!!

Soo......no, my day didn't turn out as I planned.  But through it all I remained thankful.  Everything could have been worse...and everything worked out---one way or another!! 

So if you ever decide to visit us in Lubbock...look there are two places we can take you to visit!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment